Monday, November 19, 2007

Oh this just pisses me right off

I found this on IMDb. I never thought about smoking a pipe. Probably because I'm aware that Cookie Monster is not human so what did I care if he did? How is it kids are often smarter than adults?

Read on.

Scott


Early 'Sesame Street' Deemed Unfit for Today's Kids

DVDs of early seasons of Sesame Street bear a warning to parents that they may not be appropriate for small children, the New York Times observed today (Monday). Carol-Lynn Parente, executive producer of Sesame Street noted that in the early days of the show, a regular feature was a parody of Masterpiece Theater, featuring Alistair Cookie, played by Cookie Monster, who appeared with a pipe. "That modeled the wrong behavior," Parente observed. Oscar the Grouch appeared too grouchy. "We might not be able to create a character like Oscar now," she said. The Times also noted that in the DVDs (Volumes 1 and 2) Cookie Monster can be seen "in his former inglorious incarnation: a blue, googly-eyed cookievore with a signature gobble ('om nom nom nom')."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My sister bought one of the "old-school" DVDs for her son, and, sure enough, there is a disclaimer at the start.

I believe this disclaimer is specifically aimed at Don Music, who was retired because they were worried kids would bang their heads against pianos.

Ya rly.