Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Predictions

Football blog here.

So, I've been informed by Tracy that someone, somewhere is predicting that the Carolina Panthers will, I don't know, win it all or at least be good.

Has anyone else noticed that this has become an annual tradition? You know what else has? Their collapse during the season.

Apparently, if you analyze Carolina's line-up every year, something magical happens and you are compelled to write that they will win. I don't look at their line-up. I'm not a sports writer. I'm a sports observer. And so I get to stand way back here without having to look through the Matrix-like waterfall of numbers. And from over here, do you know what I see? A team that is so fragile that lose any one component, you lose the team. And a quarterback who is above average at best.

So I predict that Carolina will go where it has gone every year in recent memory: nowhere.

Now, as for the Bears, Kyle Orton will start. He's simply better at doing what needs to be done and nothing more. Call him the Billy Bob Thornton of football. Also, the defense doesn't expect much from him, so there's no resentment. They step up their game.

These are my predictions.

This has been Scott Cupper, signing off from way back here.

1 comment:

JK said...

I haven't been following pro football very closely, so I had to go check the standings. Turns out Carolina is 2-0 and leading its division, meaning the Panthers are in perfect position to achieve your predicted collapse. I know you're busy, but don't forget to gloat when it happens.