Friday, August 24, 2007

Storms

If you're not in the midwest, you've probably read about our string of severe storms. If you're in the midwest, you've undoubtedly experienced them. And string is right. We've got an assembly line stretching from Michigan to Northwest Texas. Apparently we're right on the edge of a bubble of hot air. And neither is moving.

It's been crazy. Severe thunderstorms every day. And night. Yesterday was the worst. Tornado warnings for all of Chicago. 310,000 people without power. My workplace lost power so we went home early. 2,400 trees damaged in some way and not a small number down. Traffic lights down. Over 2 inches of water in an hour. Viaducts flooded. The Edens (essentially I-94 after it diverges from I-90 north of the city) was closed because it was flooded. Yes, flooded. Lake Shore Drive was gathering water.

But it was the wind that was the most amazing. Gusts of 74 m.p.h. That's the windspeed at which a Tropical Storm is upgraded to a Hurricane. I've been up most nights at some point because I have two huge trees at either of my bedroom windows and I have never seen trees blowing so hard. So I get up and move to my living room in case one of those trees should decide it's tired and needs to rest in my bed. Watched an episode of the The West Wing last night. President Bartlet had to make a tough decision about the Defense Minister (I think) of Qumar. Riveting stuff at 1 a.m.

One more day. Oh yes, that's right. We could get another severe storm today. But the weekend promises nice weather.

No comments: