Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Y2K

So at my place of work, our operating system is, well, decrepit. I'm pretty sure it's DOS. But today I found out just how decrepit it really is. If you've read the title, you've probably figured it out. That's right, we've got a Y2K problem.

And you thought it didn't affect anyone. Well it affects me!

I was searching for something from 01 to 03, in my mind 2001-2003. But the computer kept beeping at me and telling me that the "End date cannot come before begin date." So, I looked at those dates hard, trying to see if I've maybe missed something. I know from experience by editing any number of documents, balancing my checkbook, and playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for many hours, the slightest thing can slip right by you.

I couldn't find anything. So I called downtown to the agency guru. At which point he revealed that our system has a Y2K problem.

I laughed for a good long time.

Apparently, the changeover from 1900 to 2000 happened in the year 2003. So anything from 2000 to 2002 is read as 1900-1902. Which doesn't explain why it kept telling me that "End date cannot come before begin date" since it clearly does. By about a century. But I think it's the computer's way of throwing up it's hand and yelling, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! You didn't fix me?!?!"

1 comment:

Tracy Lee V said...

That is a fascinating word usage substitution. Truly fascinating. If I have whiskey and do the tango AND the foxtrot, can I be on "Dancing with the Stars?" I think that being on that show would truly get me into shape. And those heels would make me seriously tall. As if I wasn't already...
Seriously. Where's the whiskey?
Sign me up.