Sunday, April 09, 2006

80's TV and Personal Revelations

My roommates, Ziggy and Marisa, and I were reminiscing the other night about TV shows we had watched as kids. Some memories we shared. The PBS show Today's Special was loved by all. Some we didn't. Ziggy didn't remember GoBots at all. Marisa a vague recollection. Ziggy had a foggy recollection of that early computer animated show Reboot. Marisa and I were both all about it. Marisa and I also big fans of The Great American Hero. Ziggy had no clue. Of course, since I didn't have cable, they went off on a tangent about Nick shows.

But through it, there began to emerge a theme for me. It became evident when Ziggy mentioned Scooby Doo.

"I never liked Scooby Doo," I said.

"Why not?"

"It was never a ghost. It was always a person." And then I realized something: I have never been satisfied in knowing the outcome of a show.

People will often ask me why I like the movies I like. "Can't you just like a movie?" Apparently I can't. Apparently I have never been able to. Apparently I have always wanted something that surprises and challenges me. I didn't like Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote because it was predestined what was going to happen. Same with the Tom and Jerry . Variations on a theme. Perfect Strangers. I gave up on the Hardy Boys. Everybody Loves Raymond. Law & Order. I've watched one episode of CSI. It holds no interest.

Why do I like the movies I like? The shows I like? They challenge my expectations. They go exactly where I want them to by going exactly where I don't expect them to. And if I know where we're going to end up, it better be a darn good ride.

So I guess that's the answer to the question. People, I've always been this way.

4 comments:

Tracy Lee V said...

I don't remember a single one of those shows up until you mention Scooby Doo. Does that make me old? Or culturally unaware? I think it's because my mom always made me go play outside, I wasn't allowed to watch much TV. That makes me sad. I need to hug a Teddy Ruxpin now.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Today's Special!!!!! I always wanted to live in the little house that the mice (I think) lived in, it was so cute! :) Thanks for the memories...

John said...

You should try "Lost." There's a show that will challenge you expectations and give you no real conclusions (at least for a long while).

Jake VanKersen said...

Completely remember Go-Bots. In fact reccently I was in a debate between what was better Go-Bots or Transformers. I mean the only cool Go-Bot was Leader-1, because he was a jet. I like Optimus so much more, he was awesome. We also reccently watched the Transformers movies. Also it is a sad thing that you never had Nick, because one of the best kids shows ever was The Adventures of Pete and Pete. Plus John is right about Lost